You have no items in your shopping cart.
The Marine Band is the original blues harmonica. Today it is still manufactured in much the same way as when it was first introduced in 1896. Its uniquely authentic sound has defined the role of the harmonica in the blues tradition and made it the benchmark by which all others are judged. The archetypal blues harmonica with the traditional HOHNER tuning.
- Original cover design from 1896 ensures the classic blues sound
- Greatly reduced swelling behavior through double-coated pear wood comb
When Jacob HOHNER filed the patent application for his new harmonica design on January 30th 1896 in New York, nobody could have dreamed of the extent to which he would affect the future of music. Originally conceived as a folk instrument, the Marine Band has had a considerable influence on the development of blues, folk, rock and pop music.
In the early 20th century, huge numbers of Marine Band harmonicas were already being exported to the USA. Here they were eagerly adopted by African Americans, who discovered hitherto unknown playing techniques which enabled them to find their own new forms of musical expression on the instrument. The music which today we call the blues evolved out of their work songs. The Marine Band can be heard on virtually every recording by blues legends such as Little Walter Jacobs, Sonny Boy Williamson I & II, Big Walter Horton, Sonny Terry, Jimmy Reed or Big Mama Thornton.
The blues would not be what it is today without the Marine Band harmonica, but it was not exclusively a blues instrument. This model was also the first choice of artists such as Johnny Cash, John Lennon or Bob Dylan. The Marine Band became a true people‘s instrument and was played in every conceivable situation, from the back porch to the street corner to the concert hall. It contributed to the success of countless hit records, TV and film themes and has even been immortalized in literature.
This astonishingly compact little instrument defines how the majority of people perceive the harmonica to this day.
All Marine Bands are made in Germany
- Total order must be a value of $70 or more.
- Excludes Delivery to a PO Box
- Selected areas are excluded from free shipping
- We may contact you on orders over $100 for optional shipping insurance
OTHER SHIPPING TERMS
- Larger items above 120kg are excluded from this term and delivery will be quoted upon sale agreement.
- Full shipping costs must be paid, if full shipping cost is not paid customers will be contacted and orders will be changed or cancelled to meet the right postage costs to your place of residence or business.
- Orders may require someone to be on site to accept delivery, or a card may be left, and will need to be picked up from the closest pickup location. In this circumstance you will require ID to collect your parcel.
- We use various courier services and Australia post, we do not deliver to PO Boxes.
- Parcels with tracking information can be obtained by emailing us at email@example.com
- Not all parcels will have tracking information.
- We do not offer returns for change of mind purchases.
- Warranties are covered by manufacturers
- If an item is damaged during transport delivery, it is preferred you do not accept the package, please contact us if you have any concerns.
- Any other shipping related issues please contact our email firstname.lastname@example.org or one of our stores during business hours.